For event organisers



Contractors insurance responsibilities
Every contractor, event business, event service or entertainer who has provided equipment or who is providing services is required to provide public liability insurance and if that contractor employs staff to run or erect any equipment must also provide by law employers liability insurance cover. You are quite within your rights to request that event businesses provide you with proof of adequate insurance cover and many event organisers do this as standard practice.        

What to look and ask for
Businesses providing catering services should be able to provide you with public and employers liability cover certificates along with proof of council registration and hygiene certificates. Amusement ride operators should be able to provide you with public and employers liability cover certificates along with a current safety certificate for each ride or amusement. Event hire businesses should also be able to provide you with liability cover details, safety certificates or service history documents in connection with any equipment you may be hiring or having erected.





Important step  
Regulations are in place to protect the general public from all types of risks and hazards.
Find out more

Risk assessment
All events large or small, indoors or outside must be risk assessed.
Find out more

Food safety
Providing catering? How to comply with current hygiene regulations.
Find out more

Insurance cover
All events, whether large or small will require public liability insurance.
Find out more

Local councils
Local councils  provide a wide variety of useful information, advice and services.
Find out more


By Mark Trevor - Managing Director of Insurex Expo-Sure continued

Three of my top tips
Over and above these are three of my top tips to a safe and successful fireworks display: 1. Only buy fireworks from a reputable retailer ensuring they meet safety requirements. 2. It is important to keep the authorities informed of your plans. Those you need to contact are the fire brigade, the police, first aid service, local authority (check if you need a storage licence) and HM Coastguard (if the display is within 5 miles of the coast). 3. Do not drink alcoholic drinks before or during the firework display - if you do, you could be putting members of the public and your fellow organisers at risk. Even if organisers have the appropriate insurance they may not be covered by liability insurance if they injured a member of the public or damaged someone’s property and they had been drinking.

Link to out more about Insurex Expo-Sure
For more information on Insurex Expo-Sure’s Event Insurance Portfolio which includes cover for events using fireworks click on our link or locate our advertisements under specialist services (Insurance cover) within the countyfetes directory.

Useful government information links
Department of Business - Fireworks Safety Displays Document
or for further advice log onto:
*Statistics supplied by the Department of Business. Bonfire Night season is classed as 4 weeks over October and November. Statistics been collected from hospital A&E Units in England, Scotland and Wales.

Need to contact numerous businesses for quotes etc? Use our free email service.
Get involved with creating this area!
If you're connected with the events industry and would like to share your experiences with others, here's your chance to write an article for this area.